My Blog List

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Quikee Harvest

I helped my buddy harvest his spuds this morning and I came home with a bunch of fresh veggies.

He had 3 kinds of potatoes - reds, whites and blues (gotta love the guy!).  He did the best job planting the whites.  The blues and the reds, well...


I'm guessing he ended up with about 30 pounds of potatoes.  Not a huge amount, but he didn't plant that many of them.  He actually learned a lot more about what NOT to do, so he's expecting big things from next year's harvest.

He also pulled up some onions yesterday, and had them out drying -



He gave me about 5 pounds of the potatoes, some onions, leeks, tomatoes, carrots, zucchini and squash.


The leeks are amazing.  Small girth, but the aroma is huge.  A cross between garlic and onion.  You NEVER get this strong of a smell from store-bought leeks.

I think this will all go quite well with a roasted pork loin.  Yes, indeed...

---
Please click our advertiser links. They pay us so you don't have to. A click a day is all we ask!

Copyright 2010 Bison Risk Management Associates. All rights reserved. Please note that in addition to owning Bison Risk Management, Chief Instructor is also a partner in a precious metals business. You are encouraged to repost this information so long as it is credited to Bison Risk Management Associates. www.BisonRMA.com

5 comments:

suek said...

Tell him to check this out:

http://www.colostate.edu/Dept/CoopExt/4DMG/VegFruit/potatoes.htm

Heh...word verify is herbant...

Chief Instructor said...

Sue, great - I'll pass that along.

The potato, onion and leek stir fry this morning was excellent!

suek said...

Heh...I can smell it from here!

suek said...

And an oh yeah...

I'm going to order some shallot seeds from Park. We've found that they make a great "sort of onion" contribution to various gravies and casseroles. I've never tried them before, but they're so _horrendously_ expensive in the grocery stores, and _supposedly_ easy to grow that I'm going to give them a try. I could buy some - at the horrendous prices - and plant them, or I could buy bulbs and start them, but the seeds are so much cheaper that I want to give that a try. It will also give me the chance to work on the seed starting techniques that I need to learn. So...we'll see.

Chief Instructor said...

Sue, I LOVE shallots. They really are good in sauces. Not as powerful as either onion or garlic. You dice it very fine and add to a sauce and it gives you just a hint of garlic/onion. Great stuff!